Sunday, January 2, 2011

2011 Personal Goals and a Tutorial

I hate resolutions. To me resolutions are this idea that my life isn't good enough and I need to somehow change it and I really don't feel that way. But on the other hand it's always good to have goals right? Nothing wrong with those? I don't know but I was checking Elise Blaha's blog the other day (ok I might read it every day) - and I came across this post - and I immediately thought - goals on tags! I love tags!
why didn't I come up with that??? So I may not have thought of the idea but I am definitely going to use it - I have already come up with 5 goals for the year - and I am working on cute little tags - that I can hang up in my scrap room (on my inspiration board). Maybe having something cute to look at will help me achieve them. The first goal is pretty simple - learn how to work my sewing machine and then actually use it to make something - perhaps something that I can then sell in my etsy shop? (oh yeah I'm working on an etsy shop - look for that in the next few weeks!) And FYI I know I used the word "use" too many times on the tag but I already printed the words and I was too lazy to fix it - plus I'm the only one who is going to see it - you know - besides all of you.... hmmm...

Want to know how I made this cute little tag? Well you are in luck! I have a tutorial for you:
Start with a pattern - vintage or new I don't think it really matters - I got mine for a quarter at a thrift store.
Apply mod podge to the the tag (over the whole thing). Adhere the pattern pieces to the tag - overlapping them as you go and adding more mod podge as necessary.
Once you have the whole tag covered apply mod podge over the top to seal it
I used my basic grey rub on tool to push out the air bubbles and flatten it out.
Once the tag is dry (I used a heat tool) trim the excess off.
Get out your fancy new silhouette - oh yeah did I forget to mention - I got a SILHOUETTE for Christmas!! Yes I have the best husband ever! Use your machine to cut out a cute little shape.
Once you are done cutting an image layer it on to the tag. I also layered a scalloped circle. And there you have it! I am totally loving the way the background looks and plan to use it in a bunch of upcoming projects. Check back tomorrow and I should have more of my "goal" tags up and posted!

If this is your first time to my blog - Welcome! I would love for you to become a follower of my blog or my facebook page!(see link on right side of my blog!)

This post is linked at Today's Creative Blog and here:
handmade projectsPaper Issues Blog DesignPhotobucketThe DIY Show OffThe Girl CreativeKeeping It Simplemmm button Passionately Artistic

16 comments:

Mary Pat Siehl said...

thanks for the tutorial the tag is awesome!

greenbean said...

how cute!...love it!...

Linda said...

Love the "resolution tag" idea and your tag is great!

Elizabeth said...

So cute! Love the little sewing machine cutout. I envy your Silhouette. Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday. I host every week. I am leaving the party open longer this week so that people can link up multiple projects if they wish to. Hope to see you there! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love this. I have 100s of vintage patterns. This is so cute!! I also got a Silhouette for Christmas but I have yet to use it. Terrible I know. I just need a moment kid free!!!

Jami Nato said...

ah-freakin-dorable.

TheLastOfNine said...

Like your style, not too vintagey (possibly not a real word). Just wondering, since paper Mod Podge is acid-free and you apply on tag before and after the pattern, does it make the pattern acid-free?

Your follower,
Gloria

Amanda said...

Love the project! The sewing machine is so cute on the tag. It's my goal to really use my sewing machine, too. Come follow me at Ninth Street Notions to learn about my sewing adventures.

Tracy said...

Cute tag. Instead of saying resolutions replace it with goals ;)

Unknown said...

Cute tag. Love the pattern on the background.

Sandy Ang said...

Thanks for the tutorial on making your own background with sewing patterns. I need to learn how to work a sewing machine too. Happy 2011!

Unknown said...

Cute tag! I have the old version Silhouette. I need to dust it off and use it more.

maleahbliss said...

I love that you used old patterns to cover the tag. I love the way it looks. :)
I'd love it if you linked this up to my linky party! :)
littleeme.blogspot.com

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

You "AMAZE ME"! Thank you for linking up to the "Amaze Me Monday" blog party!!

Biz said...

I'm learning how to use my sewing machine this year too!
I took a beginner's sewing class a few months ago and now I'm following a lot of bloggers that sew, so that I can get inspiration and learn more!
Stop by sometime ;)
Biz
http://busybizblogs.blogspot.com/

Juliet A said...

Your tag is as cute as the dickens!, now, having said that - why are you gluing tags instead of sewing them? I use my sewing machine for papercrafting as well and making clothes and household items.