Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Studio Makeover

I had a couple suggestions that I post the progress of my studio clean up.  This is a HUGE project - so I was thinking to keep me motivated I would post progress pictures every Tuesday until its all clean and organized - I'm hoping this will happen by the end of the summer - but we shall see.  Now the beginning is pretty bad - and really I should probably be embarrassed by A. The amount of stuff I own and B.  The way it has taken over the entire house.  But if I am going to do this I am going to do it right and show you everything - hopefully by the end of the summer I will have a beautifully decorated, decluttered studio where I will actually want to work!  So the starting point pictures:
 
Now in reality that isn't too bad - but here is where it gets worse -  I have a hall closet FULL of supplies. 
 
And then there is the etsy stuff - a pile in the hall and a pile in the living room. 
Ok I know I know - I'm bordering (bordering?) on hoarding!  So in a perfect world all of my supplies will fit into the studio and ultimately I would love to clean out the entire hall closet and fill it only with Etsy stuff.  That would require getting rid of an entire closet full of paper and supplies.... like I said its a HUGE project! Any suggestions/websites/books/tips for organization?

And if nothing else - this post should make you feel better about your own studio!

Photobucket

12 comments:

Jasmine said...

Your room is gonna look awesome! I say go up!! Use the space on your walls to store things like ribbon and assorted paints and smaller items and leave the bookcases and shelves for your papers. I love using baskets and old jars to hold my smaller items like flowers, brads, buttons and chipboard alphas in.

Darline W. said...

WHOA!! Girl, go ahead and admit...You are a crafting hoarder! Nothing wrong with that...LOL! Looks like you have all the tools to get organized, you just need to weed through some of your stuff...?? That would be hard for me! Good Luck...can't wait to see the makeover :)

TheLastOfNine said...

What if you start with taking everything out of the room (no I'm not nuts). You can sort easier that way, placing like items in boxes, another box for selling, donating and/or dumping. Once that it sorted, you can purchase bookcases, Ikea is an affordable source. Then the fun begins (not really) putting everything in it's place, once in place then the fun begins...creating in a beautiful space. Just a thought.
Gloria

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be your assistant!!! I like how u are goon to be accountable & brave that u r sharing!!!

Lynda in calif

laurie said...

my crafting stuff has taken over our whole house! it has a life of its own sometimes but hopefully i can tame it a bit this summer.

banclothing said...

I used to have the 'disaster zone' too and it transfered all over the house. My husband was actually the one that had to put his both feet down. We agreed on dedicating the biggest spare room to my sewing which has a big closet; plus I could use an additional closet in another room. We had a timeline of 1 month and if I could not organize it than there had to be a purge in order to make it fun. My hubs sounds like a hard ass but it was what I needed. I barely had to purge anything I just needed organization. Now sewing is SO much easier because everything is organized.

Michele's Scrapy Creations said...

wow love your space--you should check out Organize your stuff thread over two peas. I'm currently doing that which is great. Shoudl give you some ideas. don't forget to post your progress.

for your esty things, do they need to be out or maybe store them in that hall cloest--so it's not in your way use basket or bins to label what each items are but if you need them out. I would look for a large shelving unit to store your bins and label what they are for quick access can put a huge cabient beside the shelf to store your shipping items then that way ur top cabient can be use to pack yoru things. one idea.

Jennybean said...

I'm actually re-organizing my scrappy storage on my blog. As far as books, I've read at least 20 organizing books and my favorite by far is Julia Morgenstern's Organizing From The Inside Out - specifically she talks about organizing a room by the kindergarden model (where all the stuff you need for a particular activity is grouped together).

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

Loads of "eye candy" here... WOW!
Have fun creating your crafting room :]
Tons of shelving might be helpful. It's all good,tho.

Mary Pat Siehl said...

love your space

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see the finished project.
I would be more than happy to receive any supplies you feel the need to get rid of :)

Sherry said...

LOL, I laughed when I saw the room, I can definitely relate....