Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thrifty Thursdays - Shopping at the Hardware Store

 If you have learned anything about me its that I like to look for scrapbook supplies in the most unlikely of places.  Today I am going to show you a few items I have picked up at my local Hardware Store (Lowes/Home Depot):

 
Drywall Tape:  This is the mesh tape I used in the tag - it's about $7 for the roll.  Now I know I push the limits of what I call "thrifty" in these posts sometimes.  But even at $7 this is truly thrifty.  Some of you may be familiar with a product called "Magic Mesh" found in some craft stores that is marketed to crafters/scrapbookers.  It is about $4 for maybe 1 or 2 yards.  Now the drywall tape is exactly the same - its self adhesive (no need to figure out how to glue it down! - just peel it off the roll and stick.  And I don't think I will ever run out!  There is TONS on the roll!  So I think this is beyond thrifty!!

"Metal" Tape: okay to be honest I bought this several months ago - I have NO idea what it is called or what it costs.  I **think** its for duct work.  It is self adhesive (has a paper backing).  Even though I don't have an example to show you this is a great product for craft projects.  I like to use it with embossing folders through a die cut machine!


Photobucket

14 comments:

Boni said...

just want to say how much I love your Thrifty Thursday posts. I love using things that are not sold for scrapbooking too. Thanks for all the good ideas!

kim c said...

kindred spirits...i used drywall tape last week and i've upcycled old garage sale photo frames with metallic plumbers tape. love it.

melodymellinger said...

I have been using drywall tape for years!!! Works really great on boy layouts - I will try the metal tape.

Miss Meg said...

cool ideas! never thought of the drywall tape before for crafting. And you are correct - the metal tape is for duct work.

Jasmine said...

Haha, this is funny...I was once a purchaser for an interior building supply store...I was like a kid in a candy store, always getting samples that would double for scrapping. Great post- love thursdays!
Jasmine

Deb (dcorder) said...

Love your great tag!!

Lynda said...

This is a great idea...thanks so much for sharing...I've purchased the magic mesh before and this is way cheaper! Pure genius!Lyndaoflakeland.blogspot.com

Dara Lynn said...

That is a craftastic idea!!!!

Ei8ht Beach Street said...

Your tags are always so cute. Love the mesh tape. Good job.

Chris said...

love the mesh tape, and I'm all for finding thrifty and unique supplies for my layouts.

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

These are fantastic... love it!
What wonderfully, creative, clever idea with the drywall tape. Thank you for sharing :]

Mary Pat Siehl said...

love the tag!

Gamma said...

I bought some dry wall tape quite a few years ago and use it all the time. I still have plenty left. I like stetching it out and using my sponges and ink...change the color of the dry wall tape.

Now for the duct tape. I never even thought of that. Looks like its time to go invade DH tool shop. :)

Packing Tape said...

A&R Box Packaging provides many types of packing tape. Packing tape is most commonly used when sealing up boxes for storage and transit. A&R Box Packaging sells packing tape at very competitive price