Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thrifty Thursdays - Makeup Mini

 
Today is the first Thrifty Thursday! After the success of last week's dollar store crafts I have decided to bring it back as a weekly post.  Thrifty Thursdays will be a series of craft tutorials featuring items found at the dollar store or Target dollar spot (or anywhere else I found cheap items to craft with!) Today's craft is a mini album made out of a makeup compact.  I found this one at the dollar tree. I saw this idea in a book years ago - I can't remember exactly where or even how they made it so the idea is only semi original:
 
Tutorial:
1.  First clean out the makeup from the compact. Find a circle punch that punches circles to fit in the compact.  (Mine was 2 1/4") Punch 8 circles. Line four of the circles up and place tape in the center of each circle.
2. Lay a piece of ribbon over the tape running through the center of the circles (leaving only a small piece of ribbon in between circles) Adhere a second circle on top of each of the original circles.  This creates the base of your mini album.
3. Adhere the circle on the far left to the bottom of the compact so that it won't come out.  Trim any overhanging ribbon.
4. On the circle on the far right fold over the ribbon and staple.  Trim off any excess ribbon.  This creates a handle so you can pull the mini out. The circles are stored accordion style in the compact.
5.  Embellish as desired. I put photos on one side of the circles and left the others blank for journaling (except for the one that lands on top) I used a circle punch to punch the photos and the patterned paper that covers the mirror and top of the compact.
NOTE: If I did this project again I would somehow incorporate ribbon on the outside so that it tied closed.  The compact is pretty shallow and mine as it is just barely locks but any extra items and it wouldn't have - it would have been better to have that tie to keep it closed. 

And remember today is your last chance to enter my giveaway.  Check it out here and come back tomorrow to see who won!

Photobucket

This post is linked here:
handmade projectsgiveawaysA Crafty SoireeHookingupwithHoH


20 comments:

Unknown said...

How absolutely cute, cute, cute! I had just finished looking at your other Dollar Store crafts earlier today and I was thrilled when you posted another.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next Thursday!

http://kidscatsclutterandklutz.blogspot.com/

Jocelyn said...

Wow that is seriously adorable! Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to try this!!!

Elizabeth said...

very creative! turned out great.

Unknown said...

You come up with the cutest ideas!!!! I love looking at your blog for inspiration.

Yes that picture on my blog was from Target. The same artist also has smaller prints at Meijer if you have one nearby. She takes some cute photos.

Happy Thursday!

Esther Asbury said...

What a cute idea for a mini album!! I never would have thought of this one....but I love it!

very merry vintage style said...

Adorable-love the butterfly touch. I would love to have you link this up to my Share the Love Link Party

curlyqmosaics said...

This is the cutest thing! It would make a perfect gift too! TFS!

Vanessa said...

how clever!

Unknown said...

Too cute! I would have never thought of that!

Unknown said...

How stinkin' cute! It would make such a fun brag book! or perfect girls night party favors!

Scrapbooking Emmy said...

I love this idea, I don't think I would have ever thought about it. Reading these posts are helping me to think in a all new "crafty" way. You inspired me to start a new series on my blog, "Scrap to Treasure".

Angel said...

Never thought of using a compact like that. I have made a birthday card that was similar and it fit into a little jewelry box.
Great idea!

Laurel {Make and Takes} said...

Oh that's such a fun idea! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

April said...

Great idea! I love that you can use random objects for unique crafts!

Unknown said...

Absolutely wonderful! What Grandmother wouldn't love this in her purse?
Thanks for the ideas, your blog is fab. I'm your newest follower.

Buffie
http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Wowzers, I love this! Such a cool and cute idea! xx

malia said...

Hi Melissa, I featured this today at A Crafty Soiree... www.yesterdayontuesday.com.

Thanks so much for linking up! Malia

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

This is great!!! I can't believe how cute you made this. I am so adding this to a "must make" list! Great job
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Unknown said...

Another great idea! Love your style!

Kelley said...

This is just about the most adorable thing I've ever seen. I'm making these as presents. Thank you MUCH. <3