A travel sewing kit. Truthfully I don't really know what these things are for (i guess just in case you lose a button??) nor have I ever used one BUT I did think that I could make a cuter container for it - because if you are going to bring it with you on a trip it might as well be cute!
Tutorial (click on the photo to enlarge):
1. For this project I used a small jewelry gift box that I also found at the dollar store (because I didn't like the plastic half clear half blue box it came in). Measure the bottom of the box and the sides and cut a piece of paper slightly larger than their sum. (I cut larger so I can trim off excess - better than cutting it too small!)
2. Adhere the bottom of the box to the middle of the paper. Make sure to adhere to the side you don't want showing! I used gel medium (mod podge would work also) to adhere the paper to the box and also put a coat on top (after inking) to seal.
3. Cut slits in the paper as shown in the picture.
4. Adhere the long sides first, wrapping the paper around the short sides. Trim off any excess.
5. Adhere the short sides. Trim off any excess.
6. Repeat with the top of the box and ink all the edges with Rusty Hinge Distress ink.
5. Embellish the top as desired and fill with your sewing kit!
I hope you are enjoying my week of Dollar Store crafts - only one day left! If this is your first time at my blog - Welcome! I would love for you to become a follower of my blog or facebook page! (see link on right side of my blog!) And be sure to check out my etsy shop here.
This post is linked here: