Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Quick Tutorial - Crackle Paint

It seems I have had a lot of people in the store lately buying crackle paint and not entirely sure how to use it so I'm doing a quick tutorial on how to use the Ranger Crackle Paint :
Pick a crackle paint color - for this tutorial I used Picket Fence (white). Paint the crackle paint on thick -you are going to want to thin it out - I understand the urge - but you will be happier if you paint it on thick - so don't be shy!
I usually let mine dry on its own for a few minutes then I take a heat gun to it (because I'm impatient) I find letting it dry on its own for a few minutes minimizes the chances of burning the paint - don't hold the heat gun in one place for too long because it will burn!
After its completely dry take a distress ink (in this case I used black soot) and using a blending tool rub the ink onto the painted surface.
Take a wet paper towel and wipe the ink off the surface of the paint - it will wipe right off the paint and stay in the cracks!
And there you have it! I used Picket Fence for this tutorial but I LOVE rock candy crackle paint the best - it's a clear paint - It's great for painting over the top of vintage images because the image shows through (because its clear!) and you get an aged effect with the cracks and ink

Hope you enjoyed! If you have suggestions for another quick tutorial let me know!

This post is linked here:
Get Your Craft On Tuesday

15 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I have to try that!

Kelli @ WhimsiKel said...

Thanks so much for your sweet comment! This crackle paint technique looks incredible - and I'll just add it to the list of reasons I need an embossing gun. :)

Megan B said...

great tutorial! I have some but haven't used it yet...need to break it out and put it on a layout soon!

Tracy said...

I have never tried to crackle paper, but I have used crackle finish on my wood working projects.
Thanks for sharing this.

Becky said...

So cool! I always wondered how that worked! Hey, thanks for being my first follower today! I really appreciate it. I would have responded to your comment, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Haha!

Blessed Ladybug said...

what a great way to explain..Now i too can know how to use my .... crackle paint.....

leah said...

Fun idea, Melissa! Thanks for stopping by my blog! ^_^

gudrun said...

Love this tutorial. :) Thanks for sharing. :)

S@lene aka Yati said...

Wonderful tutorial! Thanks for the blog love!

Unknown said...

Way cool. That is also cool that you know Gay & Kyla. They are so funny when they get together.

Pam W. said...

Wow. That was a great tutorial. Now I want to go home (at work) and play.

very merry vintage style said...

What a lovely way to hold memories from your trip. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog, I have enjoyed viewing yours and am now your newest follower! Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Great tutorial and I love the techniques.

Michele said...

thank you so much for this! i just bought some crackle paint and now i know what to do with it! xo

mollie.dirig said...

This crackle paint would have been awesome on your Halloween house!! I love what you did with it - just saying! - but I wonder what this would have looked like instead of cutting and inking each little rectangle.

I am new to your blog. Thanks SO much for your posts, they are inspiring!!