Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 21 - Last Minute Gift Tutorial

We are only 4 days away from Christmas and if you are anything like me you still have a few people left on your list to get gifts for. Today I am going to share with you a super easy and cute last minute quick gift - I think this took me 5 minutes total to make! It's a 2011 pocket calendar:
Start with a cheap 2011 pocket calendar - this one is from the Target dollar spot - I like this one because there aren't pictures on the inside - a lot of times if you get the ones with the cats (or dogs or whatever) on the front they also have cats in the inside - this one is plain!Take the calendar out of the protective covering. Measure the calendar open and cut a piece of paper to those measurements. I cut mine a tad larger and then used mine scissors to trim down (this way I knew I had enough paper factoring in the curve) Adhere to the calendar - I used scor tape (it will be in a protective covering so you don't have to go crazy with the adhesive!)Put your calendar back in the protective covering. Use scor tape to adhere a piece of ribbon around the calendar - I put the scor tape on the actual calendar and then adhere the ribbon to it (trying to put scor tape on the ribbon and then on the calendar would be a nightmare - I've seen people try it - save yourself the headache!)Cut a square for the front of the calendar - because the calendar protective covering is tight I built my embellishments on top of the cover. I covered the square in mod podge to make it more durable.Cut a variety of circles. I then crumpled them up in my hands to give some dimension. Cover in mod podge to make more durable. Once the mod podge dries adhere the embellishments to the front of the calendar.As a finishing touch I adhered "2011" stickers on to the front and covered in mod podge. And there you have it! A perfect easy and quick handmade gift for Christmas!If this is your first time to my blog - Welcome! I would love for you to become a follower of my blog or my facebook page!(see link on right side of my blog!)

This post is linked at Vintage Pollyanna and Today's Creative Blog and here:
handmade projectsThe Boardwalk Bragfest Paper Issues Blog Design

12 comments:

Donna K said...

Melissa...this is an adorable take on the altered calendar. I've been making these for a while and for some reason NEVER thought of the ribbon across the front to tie it up so cute! Great way to hold all those little reminders together. Thanks for sharing! Happy Holidays!

Karen said...

My Christmas present??? :-)

Mary Pat Siehl said...

very very cute idea!

ArtfullyJune said...

What a great way to personalize an inexpensive gift. I love the dollar spot at Target for lots of little gifts.

Pam W. said...

Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

This turned out so cute.
I keep meaning to do one for me.

Blessed Ladybug said...

I make the same gift .. they do make wonderful gifts.... very nice thanks for sharing....

Unknown said...

This is adorable!!! I love what you did!

Beth Hawks said...

Excellent idea. I think this would be a good gift for teachers or coworkers.

Abigail Leigh said...

Love this idea!!!

Zafran ali said...

Great idea,This tutorial was GREAT!I like it.
gift pakistan

Ruby Murray said...

Gorgeous! I linked to your post on my blog and made myself an altered diary inspired by yours too.